Monday, October 31, 2005

Things that Fright

















Boo!!! Hello kiddies!! It is that time of year. All the guys and ghouls are out tonight in full fright!! I'm just here in my home taking a spin. Howl!! Scream!!

In the spirit of Halloween, I was at my aunt and uncle's house having some tamales for the birthday boy and girl. My two cousins have a birthday like three days apart. So...they always have to share their birthday. It sucks doesn't it. I would think so. You can never really find you identity this way. Okay...I am getting off the subject. Across my very short life, there have been many questionable instances. Incidents that I can not explain with, "It was the wind!" You know all the excuses people usually give to rationalize something spooky. Well...we started to tell stories of things that go bump in the night. To my surprise, there were a few stories that were similar to experiences I had. I decided that I would write them down here. The time and date are irrelevant and the locations are no longer there.

My first recollection of a scary moment was in my old apartment. The apartment was on Cortez St. and Ashland. My parent being new to this country had only a little bit of money to their name. So...they would rent a three bedroom apartment with three families to save some money. Those three families were my Uncle D, Uncle R, and my family. I believe we were together for a good ten to 11 years in about three different apartments before moving out on our own.

I have many scary memories of that first building. It was somewhere on the north side of Cortez St. between 1432 and 1514. It had white vinyl siding all the way to the top. It was a scary night (I know why would anything happen in the morning). The men had gone to work and it was close to the time of their arrival. The women were in the kitchen making dinner. The kids were playing at the hems of their respective parents. The living room had a chandelier (sp?) made of crystals with lights affixed to it. At some point in the evening, the front door was opened and closed. The light of the chandelier began to flicker on and off. The crystals began to shake. I became a little freaked out. I was about 3-4 years old. I said. "Pa, donde estas?" There was no response. Eventually the light went out in the living room. Here is the spooky part. No one came home until 1 or 2 hrs later. No one had even gone to the living room. My mom was freaked and so were my aunts. We never spoke about this ever again until this saturday. I confirmed this story with my aunt. She said we never found out what happened. I also remember in this same house we found an extra bathroom. We had been living in this house for almost a year and there was a secret bathroom. When the secret bathroom was opened, it was all red inside with a small window. The tub was caked with something red that looked like dried blood. Needless to say, we closed that bathroom up and sealed it up.

We later found out that a seperate incident like that happened to some friends of ours. They were at home working on their homework. The guys began to hear voices and then the kitchen table began to shake uncontrollably. My two friend were home alone as teens. They ran as fast as they could to a neighbor across the street. When they returned to the house. The soda they were drinking was all over the table.

Cortez street had a lot of houses that had some unexplained incidents like footsteps that would walk from the porch to the end of the kitchen and stop. Shadows in the form of a child that would dash across the room. The same child that would turn on the stereo at full blast when people were alone. Mysterious knocks at doors in front and then at the back once the front door was answered. The sound of kids running back and forth upstairs and there is no one at home. The feeling that something or someone was starring at you and there was no one there in the room.

This are some of the incidents that occured at Cortez street. I'm sure there are more, but I have not had a chance to listen to them and hear their stories. I'm curious to hear your stories bloggers. Especially on this Halloween day. Have a good fright!! Try not to eat any apples with razors in em. Make sure the kiddies check all the candies before eating them.

5 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

I'm reading this post at work, the morning after Halloween, in an office with 3 other people near by, and there is plenty of light... yet I'm afraid! thank god I didnt read that post last night.
what's the deal with that secret bathroom by the way? you were there for a year before you found it? creepy

8:47 AM  
Blogger sonrisa morena said...

damn santis!!!! this is some scary crap!!! like dcn i'm glad i'm in the office reading this and not at home all by lonesome self

9:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

secret bathroom? i'm not surprised with old chicago buildings. where in the layout was it? i had an apt once with a built in mirror. it was beautiful and framed with the same trimming as the rest of the house. every time i used it, i felt like there was something behind that mirror. much, much later i found that there was a secret compartment of sorts behind the mirror.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Mariposatomica said...

I too just read this post at work and I'm scared. I work near Cortez and Ashland. I wonder if it's the same street that house the house with all the crosses on it. The red bathroom sounds chilling!

2:12 PM  
Blogger Santiago said...

dc- all i have to say was that i thought it was kind of weird and thikning wow a secret bathroom. it was a little creepy that it was all rusted red.

cc- the bathroom was off of the kitchen. we kept getting a draft from that side of the kitchen and we had not idea where it was coming from. apparently, the wallpaper was covering the whole door completely.

mariposa- i know the house you are talking about. the crosses was to ward of spirits or something like that. i believe there were some scary things that happened there at that house too. that house was about three blocks off of cortez on Chestnut St.

i just remembered something. my in-laws have a basement and in this basement they also found a secret compartment. they discovered this place way before i became part of the family. all i have to say is that i do not like this basement. i always feel a little uneasy down there. i do not know how my brother-in-law and my parents-in-laws sleep down there.

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home