Tuesday, October 18, 2005

playing toy soldier

or should i say more madness from the past weekend. i have embarked on a new journey. it is one of leadership, wellness, and a journey of faith. the reason for the title is because, i have just joined the Salvation Army Corp -Temple Laramie on Laramie and 24th St, Cicero, IL 60804. i am now an adult soldier. you may see me around Christmas ringing bells. we shall see.

by the way, i am not catholic. i know, but I am mexican!!! it is a long story that i do not want to relive. it is not that serious. the next questions is,"then what are you?" i am a follower of Jesus Christ. the church that i attend would be an evangelical church. i kind of sort of know the differences, but not sure it really fits.

well...the ceremony for the induction was Sunday morning. I went all dressed in the uniform. it was a sort of soldiers uniform. this is why i was playing soldier. i should not take it lightly. this is some serious business. the ceremony lasted from about 11:00 am to about 2:00. we are latinos after all. so the actual induction with me signing papers agreeing to the war articles took about 20 minutes. but they also had to have the actual service. they had a lunch and everything. we left about 3:30 after eating. the food line was all disorganized and people were cutting and being ignorant. nothing new when you get a bunch of latinos being offered free food. my Uncle D came out and of all people my brother RP. we almost ditched the little party in our honor to go to OCB (old country buffet).

side note: my kids call this place OCB. they are always," hey lets go to OCB."

i was surprised that RP did not burst into flames as he walked in. i'm kidding. he really is not that bad. he just does not really go to church. i mean he will do over time so he can say he is busy on Sundays. so...as we left, i was wondering what we were going to do. i had to let mrs. santiago rest. we decided on going over to my brother RP's apartment on Montrose and Cicero. my kids right away abandoned me. they said both in unison, "can we go with RP?" i told them, "go ahead." in a flash they were gone. i went back home to pick up some things. my son and daughter had procrastinated doing their homework. i went over to my apt and mrs. santiago was sleeping. as i was changing out of my uniform, ooops, i woke her up. i felt terrible. she went right back to sleep. i picked up their bookbags and headed over to my brother's place.

my kids did their homework, while I watched Warriors. it is a 1979 film about gangs. i remember it being the coolest movie ever when i was kid. i know there are a lot of movies i should not have watched. the kids kept coming over to ask me questions. there were some scenes the kids should not have been watching. i am glad they stayed over in the dining room. my brother made some chocolate chip cookies and everything was cool. i got to try the coke zero. it was not bad.

we left before the Sox game started. i figure get home and then get to watch it in the comfort of my own home. my brother has a big screen would have like to stay and watch there, but the kids needed to come home and take showers. the dreaded routine of getting ready for school. they hate it and i hate it too.

the funny things is i drank two beer and had a cigarette. those were some of the violations on the articles. the paper i signed said that i was not going to consume alcohol. it is hard being a good guy. i'm sure there will be other times where i will violate this article. i did not even last a day without breaking the rules. darn it. oh well. thanks for letting me rant.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mariposatomica said...

Those articles you signed are going to burst into flames when Sonrisa Morena and I go get sangria with you.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Joel said...

Ha, that's got to be a Salvation Army record for breaking breaking rules so fast! I'm impressed.

9:30 AM  
Blogger sonrisa morena said...

dude did you really think you were going to not break the rules...this is another SERIOUSLY!!! moment ;-) hellooo? had you forgotten about going out for sangria? heehhehe

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home