Friday, November 18, 2005

F-R-I-D-A-Y...

It is finally Friday. I have been waiting for this day for a lot of reasons. I will be on vacation next week. Yes!!! Oh, I will still have to get up early. My body does not know when I go on vacation. Apart from that there are my kids that I need to get them out of bed and ready. They will still be in school for three days out of next week. Also, it is Thanksgiving. I am really looking forward to the Turkey and Lasagna. I know, I know!! We are Mexicans. What are we doing celebrating with the Turkey?

Here is a funny story. My parents never were a big fan of Thanksgiving. We would sometimes get together with family and have some tamales or some pozole. You know it worked for me. I got to have some delicious tamales made by my aunt. My mom does not really have a good hand for making them. We would celebrate as a time with family. When I got married her family celebrated Thanksgiving the traditional way. They made the complete feast. I used to hate it at first because there were always the arguments and the disasters that could have been avoided. Eventually I evolved. I grew. You can dub it what you will. I started to help. I started to help with the cooking. It was the only way I could avoid the arguments and the disasters. For example, the one time we had to wait until 9 to eat our turkey. Someone forgot the turkey was frozen and that it was going to take longer to cook. It was not me. I never get to cook the turkey. I help with everything else, but my wife has the turkey. The turkey is her baby. Anyway, the running joke is that every year we plan for dinner at 6 and to this day we have never actually sat down to eat at this time. It is always close to six, but never at six. And that is all I am going to say about that....

6 Comments:

Blogger The Shrub said...

I'm in touch with your emotions...

One of the first Thanksgivings my wife and I got one of those already cooked thanksgiving meals from a gourmet store for a gift, you know the ones that have the entire Thanksgiving meal ready for pick up on Thanksgiving morning. Never did that one before so we did not have a clue what to expect.

Entire family is over and we are getting ready to eat at 2:00. At 1:00 we pick up the meal (feeds 20), frozen solid and requiring 8 hours to thaw and cook. Needless to say, instant memorable moment.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

11:20 AM  
Blogger Joel said...

Last year was the first year we had thanksgiving at our house, and since my wife has no idea how to cook thanksgiving food, our contribution was taquitos, papusas and i bought some Pollo Campero (I don't know if you have that in Chicago?)
anyway, our food was more popular than the turkey and traditional stuff my mom/grandma cooked.

10:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i was surprised at how easy it was to prepare a turkey. and actually thought it looked to pretty to eat the first time i made it. the novelty has worn off and its not something i've looked forward to in the last few years.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Mariposatomica said...

Santiago, hope you enjoy your vacation and have lots of good eats!

6:51 PM  
Blogger sonrisa morena said...

my family never eats on time either...we always end up eating at 8. Well we eat the "american" style turkey at 8. you see we cook three turkeys for thanksgiving. uno en caldo, otro en mole y otro the american style. I have a HUUUUGE family!! needless to say toda la comida se acaba!! we all end up going to be at 1 or 2 in the morning porque todos estamos stuffed!!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Santiago said...

the shrub- I hope you have a good Thanksgiving too.

DC- Papusas, yummy!! I have not had those in like years. I have never heard of Pollo Campero. Maybe you can bring some over to Mariposa's gig.

CC- yeah, it is pretty easy to make. the key is to make all these different changes every year to make it unique. well...at least the sauces.

Mariposa- I will have enough eats for a while. Damn!! I may have to get into a bigger size pants. Te aguardo un plato. ;-)

Sonrisa- that is why we have to wear sweats to the feast and pace your self. Take a walk. Then make sure to eat again. jajajajaja!!!

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home