Monday, March 27, 2006

The forgotten things...

She seemed forgotten...like a ghost from the past. She was not meant to be remembered. Yet she still floats ahore.

Those lines have been haunting me for the last couple of days. I had to let them out. Chicago is a great city. I went to McKinley Park on Saturday. We took a walk with the kids. In hindsight, I think now I know why my son is sick. It was cold. We really had no business out in the cold.

It was nice because here I am in the heart of the city and I am feeding some ducks and birds with some stale old bread. They were eating from my hands. My kids wanted to do it, but they were a little scared of the birds. They were flocking all around us fighting for a little piece of bread. It was great.

I went for a walk during lunch. I saw some really great houses. It was nice to see the new development in the area, but it also angers me and makes me thing of all the poor people being shoved off to even poorer neighborhoods or being displaced because of this gentrification. The city is no longer for the poor.

5 Comments:

Blogger sonrisa morena said...

every time i go to that area it angers me!!! i see how much it has changed and while it looks beter then in it did before i can't help but wonder where all those people have been relocated!! AND for what?!?! for whom? uuurrgghhh!!

4:22 PM  
Blogger Joel said...

I was just having a similar discussion with my wife... My city's downtown area has been cleaned up and there are all these great new shops and the houses in that area are now selling for a ton of $, when a decade ago nobody would even want to walk down the street... which is great because the city is so much nicer- but then again, all those people got moved out and the City never fixed the problems in the bad neighborhoods, they just moved the neighborhoods. So now the rich will get richer and the poor are still fucked- they're just fucked in a new neighborhood.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Santiago said...

sonrisa- it should anger us to see this blatant disregard for the poor. the poor that has no access to better opportunities because the education system has failed them and the city has not provided for better alternatives to being poor. it is an evil cycle.

dc- yes...this is all true. the helplessness abound. what to do?

12:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

we need to exorcise you of them ghosts so you can enjoy the company in the now santis.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Santiago said...

Chancla- thanks for the inspiration. i do really have a lot of demons, huh. i miss you guys. we need to get together with other bloggeros.

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home