Friday, February 17, 2006

Open Road

I was driving home the other day down the 55. I was coming from the suburbs. I saw some box cars on the train tracks. I began to think of the book, On The Road by Jack Kerouac. So...I started to day dream. I was wondering what it would feel like to just jump into one of those and ride them until they kick me off. I have also thought of just driving until my car runs out of gas and see how far I can go.

In High School, I would sometimes ride the train or the bus to the end of the line. I could have been more productive doing something else, but instead I would day dream on the blue line. I guess I have always been a sort of dreamer. I have always been out seeking adventure. I miss those worry free days.

There has always been sort of dichotomy existing in me. I have viewed myself as a loner before...at least, I thought I was a loner. I remember leaving my school...ok, I was cutting and taking a trip downtown. I would sit on the shore and sketch the lakefront. I would write in a lost sketch book. I say lost because I know I would never see that book again. Hell...I don't even know where it could be. The dichotomy lies in the fact that I had a conversation with an old high school friend of mine. She told me that I was quite popular. I reflected for a second and thought, No, I was not. I thought of all those times me luggin around my walkman walking alone and listening to Material Issue, The Cure, and Ministry. Maybe I was exxagerating. I can say one thing, I did not discriminate. I was friends with Gangsters, Goth-Chicks, Taggers, and a couple people from the Dance Crews aka the popular people. Where does this all come from? I guess from watching the Beauty and Geek Show. I am trying to decide what I was. I know I was not the Beauty. I must have been the Geek. Well...happy friday to all of you.

2 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

I was looking through my Senior Yearbook and it was amazing, my memories from high school are bad, and my friends fom high school clearly hated every minute of it, many dropped out and/or had kids by Senior year. Nobody had college plans...
anyway, i was looking through the book and I noticed there was this group of 20-25 or so kids who were in all these clubs and organized dances and were "Student Body whatever" (I have no memory of a singal stundent body election) but I guess my point is, it was like a totally different high school for those kids. I don't know what I'm trying to say... I'm rambling... I looked at the year book- it was depressing.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Santiago said...

Hey DC, You are probably right. Those kids probably had a different high school than us. It was not all that great. I knew two or three of those kids. Some of them did great things after high school. Guess what...one of them had a great carreer and took off on a back packing trip to Europe because they were so lost. I totally get what you are saying.

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home