Friday, June 30, 2006

Conversations in the Night

My wife's uncle came in to O'Hare last night. I was feeling a little isolated. Or more like wanting to be isolated to de-stress from my job and other little minor things in life. My wife went to work as soon as I got home. About 10-15 minutes after she leaves, she calls me and reminds me that her uncle will arrive around 8:00 pm. I tell her okay. She stresses that I have to go and say hello to him. Although I was not in the mood to...lets say play nice...I went up and had a little chat. I came in at the part where my mother in law was talking about how society is changing. The roles of male and females are more mixed every day and how this may affect our lives. She believes the cause of many problems in society are a result of females demanding more rights and thing like this. She was stating that God made the hierarchy for a reason. It is to keep thing in balance. It was a little strange to walk in to a conversation like that. I still do not have an opinion on this topic.

She excuses herself and proceeds to go and check on the late dinner she was preparing for her guest. My cues is to keep the conversation going. I did the mindless how have you been crap. The conversation I really wanted to highlight was the comparisons of different styles of lives we live. I tell him that Mexico in Mexico City is huge. Also in their little communities, they work together for the cause of the neighborhood. Here we work for individualistic goals. I live with my in-laws. My sister-in-law and I work together at the same company. We have the same route to work. Yet, I have not seen her in like maybe two weeks. Despite her living upstairs and working at the same company. I find it very sad and very distressing. Why do we seem to isolate ourselves like this? Is this a recent thing or do we do this more now?

Growing up...I do not recall being this isolated. I remember being at my uncles house all the time. I remember playing with my cousins and also fighting. I really do not know where I am going with this. It was just an observation.

5 Comments:

Blogger sonrisa morena said...

i believe that the older we get the more isolated we become from society or family in my case ;-). seriously, i do think it has something to do with maturity and crap like that..hehehe

9:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i dont know what it could be. maybe--unlike our parents we depend on family alot less so we have the luxury to become more isolated--to shut out the drama that comes with family. tho i would be calling up the sister-in-law and selling her on car pooling.

1:56 PM  
Blogger neicybelle said...

I cannot believe how much I care about my neighbors and family near by and do not hear from them or make it a point to go out of my way to see them. I go to work, eat, relax, do housework, spend time with my own family, and that's all I have time for. It's sad. I wish more of my family and friends were on-line...it's easier to keep track that way. Some people think that reduces human contact, but I say that even on-line contact is better than none...

3:02 PM  
Blogger Joel said...

that is the absolute worst case scenerio conversation to talk into when you're already in a bad mood... but you went though it anyway.
the things we do for our wives!

5:34 PM  
Blogger Santiago said...

Sonrisa- Really. I guess I can get down with that one.

Chanclita- I do really believe that one. We used to car-pool when she did not have her car. Now she has a car and drives her brother to school. So she leaves obsenely early.

Belle- Can I call you Belle, Neicybelle? I guess I just did sorry. I too wish my family was more on-line. I want to let them know I care about them, but I do not necessarily want to commit to a 1 hr visit. You know what I mean. I love them, but I just want to let them know I was thinking about them.

DCN- Yes...I take a lot of bullets for my wife. I guess that is part of the M.O. that no one tells you at the beginning. You have to learn it as you go along the way.

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home