Monday, September 25, 2006

kids and their irrational fears

ok...it may not be that irrational. but lets face it...my kids have been in about two accidents in one week. they are a little traumatized to say the least. i was coming home from my mom's yesterday at about 7:25pm. i was not really feeling all that well. i was kinda getting sick. my son asks me, "hey do you have airbags here on my side". i tell him no. there is only an airbag on myside. i have a 2dr Toyota Paseo. it is quite the sporty little thing. i can go really quick and dodge in an out of traffic. i just choose not to some times. the kids have been getting startled at my driving style ever since these last little two accidents. they were not even that intense. my wife rear-ended someone at like 5-10 mph. my mom got backed into her car by a big suv at about the same speed if not a little slower. my kids were in the back seat both times.
i can see my son visibily grip the side of my car. he braces himself for impact. i have told him to relax. i will not get into a car accident. i can not predict the future or can i? jk. my son tells me i do not know that. my daughter is always telling me to watch out with that big truck. keep you eyes on the road! pay attention! slow down! i feel terrible. hope they get over it soon.

in other news, i saw something that was really sad. there was a girl on the median at the entrance to the 55 on Cicero. she could not have been older than 20. she had a sad look on her face. she had a sign. i could not read it. millions of thoughts rushed thru my brain. she may have runaway. she got lost on her trip to Chicago. maybe her parents put her to it. it could also be a psychology experiement. she did not fit the same characteristics as the other homeless people out there begging for money. i have to say this entrance on 55 is the most interesting. i keep hoping that one day i will see a fire breather out there. i have seen a juggler. homeless guys and women not to mention the guys that sell water, peanuts, roses, soccer balls, and water. oh...i almost forgot the squigee guys. they try to clean your windshield for a buck.

3 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

nothing like a couple of car accidents to shatter the illusion of immortality for a couple of kids... not to put a damper on the whole thing, but I was in the car with Moe Greene once and when he had an accident- I still feel a little weary when he's driving, and that accident was almost a decade ago!

5:02 AM  
Blogger Santiago said...

dc- i know what you mean. here they thought they were made of steel. i guess this mean they will be like this for quite some time. doh!!

11:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

that is an intersting intersection. i've seen the juggler too and i have a soft spot for him. but i'm unforgiving of the squeegie windshield cleaners. they force their service on you and guilt people into giving them money. i'm one of the total bitches that turns on my windshield wipers and secretly hopes they don't notice me.

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home