Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Patterns and Thoughts

Every day I get up. I get in the shower. I get the kids up and get ready for work. I have to iron every morning, except on Spirit day. Those days are now over. We would be able to wear jeans and tshirts on those days. I would always wear my Doc Martin's. I love those. Oh yeah...I get in my car and drive. The patterns begin to emerge. The young lady that is waiting for the bus with her headphones. The yellow bus that always seems to block me from getting my kids to school on time. The two little kids (boy and girl) that walk across the tracks of the Blue Line to get to the Pace bus that takes them to school. I am assuming that is where they are going. The crazy looking lady that walks toward Cermak with a mullet style hair cut and looking like a man in the process. Scary! *shudders*. The same cars with same license plates when I am actually paying attention to my surrounding and not just on auto-pilot. The Director of another office that always seems to park in front of me. The one I once made small talk with and now seems to avoid me when we park at the exact same time. Give or take a few minutes. lol. The very cute asian female in her nice BMW that stops in front of me waiting for the light as I cross the street to get to my building. I always think I want to know what she is doing to be able to get that car. She is young too. I want to do what she is doing. lol. The same commuters that seem to enter the building from two entrances as they go towards their respective offices. The long hair blonde that is always ordering her coffee and getting her muffin as I walk to the office. The very same blonde a friend of mine that used to work in this building told me to go and talk to. lol. He was funny. He told me she was super hot. I was like ok. I think she has grown on me. hehehe. I did not think she was super hot at first, but she is very attractive.

I think I need to change professions. This job does not challenge me. Management does not allow me to spread my wings or take any suggestions. High was not bad for me. It was okay. There were certain areas that I did not particularly care for. One thing that was constant. I did not really fit in. I had a bunch of friends, but never really found my niche. I am starting to feel this way here at work too. I kind of hate that the office environment eventually reverts to high school-esque politics. It could be just my office. I do not know.

Maybe I need to go back to school. Maybe I just need to change professions all together. Are you guys happy at your jobs? Give me suggestions of what I should do next? I was a BA Pysch Major. Although I can't read minds. I know you thought I could. lol. ttyl.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

I won't pretend to have any insights into what kind of career would really fit you, but seeing that we always seem to have so much in common I'll ramble on about my career change idea and see if it helps you at all.

I have a good job, but not as fulfilling as I would like. I would really love to have a job I feel passionate about... I'm passionate about immigration/immigrant rights... I really love helping people... and I wouldn't be opposed to making some money. It's not first on my priority list, but if I'm going to change careers, why not pick something that will pay off in the end?

So that's why I picked law... And of course my Spanish skills will help a lot in immigration law... I'd be able to help people and work in something I'm passionate about... and although I wouldn't be making some outrageous six-figure salary, I certainly wouldn't be poor either.

Of course I never finished my bachelors degree so it will take me a couple of years to finish that up... but from there I could work as a well paid paralegal or go on to law school.

It would be a much easier path for you though since you have a BA... You could work as an entry level paralegal right now, you could take paralegal certification classes to bump up your starting salary, or you could study up for the LSAT and start applying for law schools. There are 5 or 6 Law Schools right in Chicago.

Again, I have no idea if a law career would interest you in the least, but since I've been thinking about that change lately I figured I'd give you an insight how I made my decision.

6:42 AM  
Blogger Mariposatomica said...

Enjoyed your blog post. Office politics are always weird. I know work in an office with no windows and it's driving me nuts even though I'm part-time.

Definitely do something you love. Constantly invest in yourself and update your skills. It's a crazy job market out there so the more added value you bring the more you can negotiate salary and benefits. Also get a mentor and network like crazy. It helps to know folks. I believe you can write stuff off if you go back to school. Hope some of this helps. abrazotes

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home